[TowerTalk] Universal 50 tower

Patrick Greenlee patrick_g at windstream.net
Wed Jan 14 09:19:22 EST 2015

Larry, I did similar to you and it works pretty good but as the tower is
insulated and driven as a vertical I made my arrangement removable so as
to avoid coupling problems (issues for the under 40 crowd.)

I used a 10 ft galvanized steel fence post and welded a pipe nipple to
it that screws in to a threaded pipe coupling that stays in place.  When
I want to lay the tower down I just screw in the post, hook up the back
guy, attach the winch cable to the tower, disconnect 2 of the 4 guys on
the tower and crank it down.  The post is 4 inch diameter and easily
handles the loads.  Just to be extra safe I found another
"post/pipe/whatever 5 ft long that was a slip fit and put it inside at
the location of maximum buckling activity and plug welded it in 3 spots
to hold it in place.

The tower associated with this fixture is a Hy-Gain Hy-Tower which is a
tapered triangular lattice tower up to the 24 ft height and telescoping
aluminum tubes from there to 52-3 ft.  I walked it up, once but never
again.  It isn't that easy with two guys in the 6' plus height bracket
weighing in at 215-220lbs.  Doing it alone was hard to do and not too
bright of me.  This installation is not ground mounted in a cubic yard
of concrete but instead is on the roof of an all metal barn (no radials)
where it performs well. Barn is 37x73 ft and 18'6" eave height with low
pitch gable roof and makes a good counterpoise.

Of course, if the tower to be raised/lowered is heavier, taller, has
heavy antenna atop it, etc. then the raise/lower fixture should be
taller in proportion.  As I have it now the cranking takes a while but
is not too challenging with down being trivial and up a minor workout.

Patrick   NJ5G