[TowerTalk] LED replacement for incandescent light

Jack Brindle jackbrindle at me.com
Wed Jan 14 14:52:42 EST 2015

LED bulbs have power supplies which convert 120/240VAC down to the DC level needed by the LEDs. These components are the major failure point (for CFLs as well). These are high current power supplies that generate quite a bit of heat and thus require at least some of that heat sink capacity as well.

So what kind of climbing harness is required when changing the external aircraft bulb at altitude??? :-)

- Jack B, W6FB