[TowerTalk] Fwd: Fwd: Now THIS is a tower climb!

Ed Karl edk0kl at centurytel.net
Wed Jan 14 20:52:42 EST 2015

Actually the bulbs are made for 140 volts (the side lights). Think about
copper loss
in the wire from the transmitter building to the socket. The big bulbs
are 620 watts,
one vertical base down, one vertical base up.

One of the manufacturers produced a direct LED replacement, and that
goes back
in antiquity, when I was gainfully employed. Memory cells have forgotten
the name but
they are well known in the tower business.

By the way, the rule of thumb used to be $1 per foot when climbing the
smaller towers.
Big ones had contracts for maintenace which was negotiable. Walking up
2,000 feet
takes some time, the rates would reflect it.

At one time there were only maybe 4 crews in the country that were
qualified to erect
and service really the big ones, were union Ironworkers.

You get what you pay for, reinforcing jobs on smaller towers, say
12-1500 feet cost about
$200K. Kinda dangerous work, you need someone that knows what they are
doing, not
the low bid.

73

ed K0KL