[TowerTalk] How to solder aluminum braid coax cable ?

Roger (K8RI) on TT K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Fri Jan 16 10:29:34 EST 2015

They had RG-6 size cable between poles?  Around here it is 3/4" between
poles.  The drops are RG-6 size with foil plus braid shield.  Like most
RG-6 size they use copper plated steel for the center conductor.  When
running trunks they use huge 1000' spools of 3/4".  A few were dropped,
denting the outer layer.  (they threw them away) I had a 1000' spool,
minus maybe 100 feet.  It is a solid Al shield, no PVC jacket. The
center conductor is larger than 1/8th inch (Never measured it ), Copper
plated Aluminum.  Virtually all companies in Mid Michigan areas us 3/4",
bare Al for trunks.   It's far more rugged than the half inch which
kinks easily.

For many years I used the 3/4 inch for long runs.  Tower and antennas
were over 300 feet from the house.  Out of the original spool, I used a
lot, gave away a lot, and still have a few hundred feet left.

The less than 100% shield has little to do with power and a lot to do
with signal leakage both in and out.  I think most RG-6 size is "rated
the legal limit up through 10 MHz with a 1:1 SWR.  I don't think I'd
trust it at that power level for long.  OTOH, I've run the legal limit
through 8X up through 40 meters and a "reasonable SWR < 1.3:1 with no
problems,  I tried CNT250, which is good coax, but it is nor nearly as
flexible with the solid center conductor compared to the multi-strand
Copper center conductor of 8X.  The center conductor kept breaking in
the wind on the feed lines to the center fed, half wave, 40 M sloping
dipoles.  I've had no failures using 8X with a foil plus braid shield.
It's very flexible and sturdy

73

Roger (K8RI)