[TowerTalk] Tower Installtion Question

Roger (K8RI) on TT K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Fri Jan 16 15:09:52 EST 2015

Don't ignore that this is in hurricane country.  The requirements do not
appear to be out of line to me.

BTW, I've had several of the "generic", self supporting, Aluminum
towers. I doubt all of that era were constructed as shoddily, but I'd
not have trusted any of them to support more than a big TV antenna in a
"mild" wind.. The "alloy?" was almost dead soft. a 150-170# climber
could easily distort the cross braces.  No way would I climb one of
those. I could pick up one of these  32 foot towers with one hand and do
the equivalent of a one handed press (fully extending the arm and then
lowering the tower back to my shoulder) 10 times when I was 65. The most
difficult part is keeping the tower balanced and fairly level.

Any of the small, self supporting Aluminum towers that come in 8'
sections with the joints looking like they are upside down should be
inspected very carefully.   (and TESTED)

73

Roger (K8RI)

---