[TowerTalk] Fw: w7ekb & ground rods

Patrick Greenlee patrick_g at windstream.net
Mon Jan 19 13:44:23 EST 2015

Just in case my experience may help someone...

The last 1/2, especially the last 1/4 of a ground rod is often much
harder to drive than the first part. I have used a sledge before but...
you can bend the rod and then it just seems to want to bend more and not
go deeper.  Use a length of metal tubing or pipe slid over the end of
the rod.  You can tape it in place or...  This keeps the rod from
bending when using a large hammer (sledge.)   I use two lengths of
pipe.  First one is about 2 1/2 ft long.  When that starts going into
the ground I switch to a shorter one about a foot or so long.  I have
sledges ranging from 8 lb to 14 lb and can swing them pretty forcefully
when needed (6'2" 215 lbs).  The pipe over the rod thing works well for me.

I also have an electric demo hammer (small electric jack hammer.)  I
made a rod driving tool for it.  I used a piece of conduit driven over a
length of a regular chisel made to fit the hammer.  Bought it cheap at
Harbor Freight and cut it in half. One end is used to make the rod
driver tool. I welded the conduit to the cut off chisel. Being thrifty I
ground the scrap piece with the chisel tip to the shape of the part that
mates with the hammer. My hammer doesn't drive rods in really hard dirt
very fast but takes little effort on my part and with patience will do a
terrific job. I have never needed the pipe over the rod when driving
with the electric hammer but there could be a first time.

Good luck.

Patrick  NJ5G