[TowerTalk] RF Ground is a Myth

Roger (K8RI) on TT K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Mon Jan 19 20:51:39 EST 2015

On 1/19/2015 1:59 PM, Jim Brown wrote:

Those aircraft were only running 10W or less, AM VHF rigs.  Most of them
still do.
Hard to imagine, state of the art aircraft still using 10W AM radios.
Many of the larger ones now use digital via the transponder. Clearances
"of some" can actually be programmed in automatically, while the "read
back" is a digital AK.  Location is automatically returned via links to
the airline as are route changes.

I used to sit on the back end of the center console of the company
planes. (Violation of company policy) and only "strap in" on take offs
and landings, or turbulence.  If on company business, we couldn't even
serve as crew.
Even with my own plane, I'd have to take vacation to fly to a meeting
the next day and take vacation to fly backThey were not at all; happy
about that and were trying to think of a way to ban that procedure as I
could claim The meeting gave me a reason to go a day early to get
"something".  I really disliked having to take commercial flights  in
those "cattle cars", even if I did manage to catch Business, or first class.

I could work the local repeater in Midland MI from that position @ FL
220 over central Ohio without keying up repeaters under, to either side,
or behind us with a 5W HT.   Now that would take one whale of a ground
wire <:-))

73

Roger (K8RI)