[TowerTalk] [Bulk] Re: RF Ground is a Myth

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 21 11:01:39 EST 2015

> Also - one theme is recurrent:
>
> "If Ufer grounding alone was enough, the manufacturers of ground rods would go out of
> business. But a Ufer ground alone it is not adequate. Few buildings, even those under
> construction today are built to take advantage of the Ufer ground. It is common to see the
> use of "Ufer grounding" in military installations, computer rooms, and other structures with
> very specific grounding specifications. It is not common in most industrial plants, office
> buildings and homes. More common today is grounding to national and local electrical codes.
> This will involve one or more driven ground rods connected (bonded) to the neutral wire of
> the electrical service entrance. The purpose of this bond is what is known as life safety
> ground. It is used for many other things but the code required life safety ground is why it is
> there to begin with."

Where is that found..

I would say that in Southern California, virtually ALL new construction
for the last 20 years uses Ufer grounds (it's required by code in my
city of Thousand Oaks).

And of course, "grounding to national and local electrical codes" *is*
the Ufer (CEGR/CEE in the codes).

Rod makers won't go out of business.  There's ample need for retrofits
and such, and as we've discussed, it's often cheaper, easier, more
practical to drive a bunch of rods than to pour concrete. (or to
evaluate the quality of a existing grounding electrode).

You're a contractor and you have a requirement on a job (not new
construction) to make sure what you're doing is grounded..  Do you pull
a few rods off the truck and have the crew drive them? The inspector
will certainly pass this.

Or do you go to the trouble of getting out the megger, driving rods for
test purposes (you gotta hook the "other wire" of the ohmmeter to
something), running all the measurements, calculating the resistance of
the existing ground? Nope.. You drive rods, the inspector signs, and you
walk away happy and paid.

BTW, I'd quibble with wikipedia's assertion about flashing into steam.
Unfortunately, the "reference" (number 8) isn't enough to figure out
where it came from.  I suppose one could dig into the history of the
wiki page and figure it out, but...