[TowerTalk] Lightning protection - length of

john at kk9a.com john at kk9a.com
Thu Jan 29 08:38:12 EST 2015

At what distance from the tower will ground rods be ineffective due to
wire inductance?

John KK9A

To:	Ray Benny <rayn6vr at cableone.net>
Subject:	Re: [TowerTalk] Lightning protection - length of grounding rods
runs from tower?
From:	Chad WE9V <chad.we9v at gmail.com>
Date:	Wed, 28 Jan 2015 22:27:40 -0600

On Wed, Jan 28, 2015 at 6:37 PM, Ray Benny <rayn6vr at cableone.net> wrote:

> My question, or request for your thoughts, is it better to run 3 grounding
> wires out 40, 50 or 60 ft (8 ft ground rods about every 16 ft connected
> with bare #4 wire) or to run say 6 ground wires out, perhaps 30 - 40 ft
> outwards? I have room in all but one direction to trench out a 100 ft if
> that would be even better yet.

More shorter wires, not less long wires.  The long wires are higher
impedance(inductance).  More wires lowers inductance.

See page number 11, start of Chapter 2, of this PDF:
http://www.radio2way.net/Polyphaser%20Guide.pdf
Polyphaser knows what they're talking about.  The entire book is good.

Chad WE9V