[TowerTalk] Antenna to Shack Ground Connection

DWKANEPE--- via TowerTalk towertalk at contesting.com
Wed Jan 28 16:21:13 EST 2015

The "cone of protection" has, generally, been replaced by the "Rolling
Ball" method.

http://geospatial.blogs.com/geospatial/2012/07/designing-lightning-protectio
n-for-substations.html

73,
Don, WB2BEZ

In a message dated 1/28/2015 3:49:12 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
xdavid at cis-broadband.com writes:

That  was my thought ... ground rods spaced along the way to try to make
the  effective "antenna" of the ground wire shorter.  Not sure if that's
what actually happens or not.

73,
Dave    AB7E

On 1/28/2015 11:57 AM, Patrick Greenlee wrote:
>  The old rule of thumb for lightning protection from over head
>  dissipation devices (high metal roofs, lightning rods, grounded
>  towers, etc. is a 30 degree cone angle.  This is NOT a guarantee but a
> tendency.  I think more is better and would not find fault with  a
> ground wire a ways above coax or control leads but would encourage
> ground rods along the way so as to not encourage a great deal of
> coupling between lightning generated ground wire and "other"
>  conductors below it.
>
> Patrick  NJ5G  (now stand by  for a total debunking of my comments...)
>

> On 1/28/2015  12:30 PM, David Gilbert wrote:
>>
>> I don't have the  expertise to be sure about it, but it always seemed
>> to me that it  would be best to run the ground wire (grounded at both
>> ends and  maybe a few places in between) in the same trench as the
>> coax ...  but some distance above them ... in order to provide a sort
>> of  shielding effect for the coax against induced currents from nearby
>> lighting bursts.  I was once told that the electric  utilities run a
>> ground line at the top of utility poles above the  actual power lines
>> for a similar purpose.
>>
>>  Possibly induced currents in the ground wire would still couple to
>> the coax anyway, but I certainly don't see how running the ground
>> wire with the coax would be any worse than running them  separately.
>>
>> 73,
>> Dave    AB7E
>>

>> On 1/28/2015 8:43 AM,  Cox, Norman R. wrote:
>>> Dear  Group:
>>>
>>>      I am now ready to  connect the tower grounding rod network to
>>> the shack  grounding system.  The crank-up tower is about 30 feet
>>>  from the shack.  Is it preferable to run the ground connection
>>> between the two along with signal cables?  Or is it  better to run
>>> the grounding connection not so close to the  signal cables?  I've
>>> seen people do it both ways, and  can see a possible benefit either
>>> way, but a lightning strike  could throw either idea out the window.
>>>
>>>  Thanks,
>>>
>>> Norm
>>>  KE0ZT

TowerTalk  mailing  list