[TowerTalk] Fwd: Antenna to Shack Ground Connection

Roger (K8RI) on TT K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Fri Jan 30 19:59:55 EST 2015

The tower doesn't even have to be close.  The idea of tying all grounds
together is to have all equipment to rise (and fall) to the same
voltages at the same time.

As for induced voltages, a strike a mile distant can induce as much as a
thousand volts per meter into a piece of wire, so imagine one in the
neighbor's yard.  Signal strength falls as the square of the distance,
so what's a 100 yards compared to 1700 @ 1000 volts/meter.  That's a
ratio of 170:1.  or  a strike in the neighbor's yard could induce as
much as 28,900 times as much voltage in a meter of wire.

Sounds like a good reason for a good grounding system and why most
damage is from nearby strikes.  There's a lot more nearby strikes than
direct hits.

73

Roger  (K8RI)