[TowerTalk] MFJ226 / SARK110

Roger Parsons ve3zi at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 8 09:22:06 EDT 2015

I have a SARK110. It is beautiful!

It has a cast aluminium body, rather like a high end cellphone. The RF connector is an MMX which is pretty small - they do supply a short extension lead with a BNC on the end, but I agree that this is probably its weakest point. (My friend John, G3PQA, has had one for a year or so and he uses a longer very flexible extension lead with a BNC on the end. That way he doesn't have to unplug the MMX. The SARK can self calibrate to take out the effect of a long test lead.) All of the controls are quite small and the menus are nested, so there is definitely a learning curve, but I have pretty much come to grips with that now.

It seems to be very accurate - I had some hardline which I assumed had a VF of 0.83, but the SARK said it was 0.89. I eventually found the cable specs on the net and sure enough the SARK was correct.

The display is full colour and pretty. There are some pretty neat features like being able to scan four definable frequency bands simultaneously - rather nice for adjusting a multiband antenna - although I confess that I haven't tried that yet.

It is a totally stand alone unit, but can interface to a PC via USB - there some extra functions then available.

I haven't looked closely at the MFJ226, but if its construction is anything like my old MFJ259, that and the SARK are chalk and cheese.

The unit is designed in Spain, but is manufactured by SEEED Studios in China. I bought mine direct from China as there is/was? no distributor in Canada, and that was also a bit cheaper.

I have no connection whatever with the manufacturer or designer except as a very happy customer.

73 Roger
VE3ZI