[TowerTalk] WSJ article on U-SHIP

lemii@sbcglobal.net lemii at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jul 6 23:57:23 EDT 2015

    Its also the backdrop of AbE's Shipping Wars program
Sent from my LG G Pad 7.0 LTE, an AT&T 4G LTE tablet

------ Original message------From: Richard (Rick) KarlquistDate: Mon, Jul 6, 2015 9:58 PMTo: towertalk reflector;Subject:[TowerTalk] WSJ article on U-SHIP
The Wall Street Journal had an interesting write upthat discussed U-SHIP and related trucking issues.(See:  WSJ, May 13, 2015, Page B7)You might get the impression from reading TT thatU-SHIP is something like U-HAUL, being for individualsmall shippers.  Actually, U-SHIP mainly replacestraditional freight brokers with business to businessfull loads hauled by professional owner operators.It turns out that you don't have to be a freightbroker to offer a job on U-SHIP.  That's whereham towers come in.  The article discusses the"backhaul" problem.  I knew a truck driver whotold me that car haulers delivering cars fromDetroit to Florida would put plywood on the bottomof the car haulers and pull oranges back up northso the back haul wasn't a total waste.  Thesewildcat loads were the origin of the U-SHIP concept,where it is "let's make a deal".  Excellent reading.Rick N6RK______________________________________________________________________________________________TowerTalk mailing listTowerTalk at contesting.comhttp://lists.contesting.com/mailman/listinfo/towertalk