[TowerTalk] Running Cables - Shack to Tower

Roger (K8RI) on TT K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Thu Jul 9 22:43:02 EDT 2015

Here and in many areas ham towers do not require a permit, nor will they
issue one if you ask.
The only permit a ham station might require here would be for an
additional breaker  or breakers.

So in my shop with all wiring in EMT and no additional circuits were
needed, nor was any inspection ever done on what I run through the
conduit, but you know my preference in keeping power away from low
voltage control wires and coax.

Typically where the NEC comes into play, it is more strict than our
local codes, so going the NEC route is "usually" safe, but there are
likely some strange regulations out there.

There huge differences from county to county, township to township and
city to city.
Here you can rewire to your heart's content with no permit or inspection
required.  Just make sure you adhere to all codes.

Know the NEC and your local zoning codes!

NEVER trust the wiring in older homes!

73

Roger  (K8RI)

On 7/9/2015 8:38 PM, J. Hunt via TowerTalk wrote:
> If a person took a lightning strike and if determined the homeowner or other party installed an electrical device not per NEC, the insurance company reserves the right on not paying damages.
> If determined a contractor installed something not per code, they are liable.
>
> As for the the DIYer, if ever inspected - questions would be raised.  Permits, city inspections ......  Some insurance companies are getting more picky and inquisitive on proper installation.  None compliance = non payment.
>
> If a structure fire resulted, the Fire Marshall looks everywhere / everything.
> It is NOT worth the risk.
>
> I have taken many lightning strikes over the years.  Usually nothing happens.  A few times I experienced destroyed antennas and the hardcore lightning protection mounted on my tower protects the feedlines and anything below.
> This mess is integrated with a  Halo Ground system.
> Everything meets / exceeds NEC and city codes.
>

> Thanks N 73,
> James Hunt
> ki5dq
> TDLR Electrical License 282053