[TowerTalk] Fwd: Fwd: FW: Fwd: Worm Gears

David Robbins k1ttt at verizon.net
Thu Jul 16 10:12:34 EDT 2015

doesn't it get even uglier than that?  at 50% if you stop the worm gear it would stay put, but if it gets bumped and starts moving the friction needed to stop it is more than the friction needed to keep it from starting under a constant load.  So while 50% might be the break point, you actually need it lower to make it self breaking, low enough to overcome the sliding friction when it is running to bring it to a stop.