[TowerTalk] Tower grounding?

Robert Harmon k6uj at pacbell.net
Mon Jul 20 22:33:20 EDT 2015

Roger,

Good review on grounding and lightning protection !
I do some of the things you mentioned.  Let me know what you think of my situation.
All my gear is grounded to a common bus running along the back of my operating desk which receives the ground straps from all the gear.
When threat of lightning appears  I disconnect the bus from a ground strap that goes out thru the wall and attaches to my ground rods.
Then I disconnect the feedlines and rotor cables and they are pushed thru a square hatch down by the floor and pushed out about 3 feet onto the concrete slab outside.
Then I disconnect the equipment plugs going to two 110VAC receptacles (I have a multiple plug in strip along the back which receives most of the gear, it is unplugged from the
wall outlet too)  and lastly unplug the amps from two 220VAC receptacles.
My tower is grounded at all three legs to separate ground rods.    The way I do my coax and cables could be better I suppose but until I can come up with something better
thats what I do.   I don't use lightning arrestors.  Also I usually lower the tower down, it has a motorized winch, (besides lightening I dont want to do wind survival tests with
my antennas either hihi )  We are having freaky weather here in the SF Bay area now.  Sun shining this morning and this afternoon clouds, thunder and lightning, then back to sun
later in the afternoon.

Bob
K6UJ