[TowerTalk] Rotor faialure

Mike Reublin NF4L nf4l at comcast.net
Tue Jul 21 10:26:27 EDT 2015

The other day, I turned on my G-1000DXA and got no response. The box says 180 degrees, and the antenna is pointed north.

I read open on the wiper and pot wires, and on the motor pair. Applying 12v to the motor wires did nothing.

I finally noticed the antennae were freewheeling in the wind. I lowered the tower and see no external signs of failure.  Any speculation on what has failed and why? I'm wondering if the mast is centered. When the tower is horizontal, how does one tell?

The antennas are a 4L Steppir w/30/40 and a 7L 6M beam. The vertical load is taken by a bearing. The "pin" bolt appears to be intact.

73, Mike NF4L