[TowerTalk] Remote Tuner with ZS66BKW or OCF Dipole

Phil Coley dxingman at bellsouth.net
Sun Jul 26 23:07:13 EDT 2015

I have read a lot on these antennas from post on the web on their "pros & cons". There isa lot of info on the web regarding loss with certain types of coax, types of ladder lines, varyinglengths for better band coverage (OCF), etc.I know that many G5RV/ZS6BKW versions say that at least 70' of coax must be used for the antenna to workproperly. And the SWR on some of the bands with both the G5RV/ZS6BKW & OCF have an SWR that is toohigh and losses would make the band "non-useable" due to this.Has anyone experimented with using a remote Tuner (LDG, MFJ, etc.) near the antenna to reduce losses inthe coax to the rig?  What would be the results in say, using a remote tuner on a ZS6BKW after the ladder lineconversion to a SO239 for coax? The need of an balun/CMC choke would probably be helpful & maybe a shortrun of coax before connecting to the tuner? If a low SWR is obtained at the remote tuner, my thinking is the loss on the coax run to the shack would be verylow. This would be helpful especially on a long coax run. Am I "out in left field" on my thinking? Is this a workablesituation or are there factors I am not seeing?Phil K4MPE