[TowerTalk] Remote Tuner with ZS66BKW or OCF Dipole

Patrick Greenlee patrick_g at windstream.net
Mon Jul 27 09:31:24 EDT 2015

On 7/27/2015 12:41 AM, Jim Brown wrote:
> ...  Yes, it is possible to make a dipole like this "work" on all
> bands, but as N6BT has shown by working all continents on a light
> bulb, almost anything "works." The questions are "how well does it
> work," and "are there other simple antennas that work better."  The
> answer to the first is "not very well," and to the second, a well
> designed vertical on a roof or one or more multiband resonant fan
> dipoles  will outperform it.  The vertical may be equally noisy, but
> the fan dipoles will be much quieter because they can be effectively
> choked.
>
> 73, Jim K9YC

I have experimented with various OCF dipoles, and a couple fans and none
have consistently outperformed a Hy-Gain Hy-Tower multi band vertical.
My current Carolina Windom OCF dipole is about 90 ft on one leg and 180
ft on the other and uses two baluns, one at the top and one at the
bottom of the vertical coax feeder (part of the radiating system.)  The
vertical is mounted atop a metal barn and has no radials. This vertical
has no traps as it uses stubs to get the bands.

I don't do many A-B comparisons between the OCF dipole and the vertical
anymore, having seen the results so many times before. Rarely does the
dipole win a shootout by much margin.  results are close but the
vertical usually does a little better.  One solid exception is
contacting a friend 120 air miles away.  Sorry, senior moment (CRS), I
don't recall the band but the OCF worked him well and the vertical was
useless.  We chalked it up to takeoff angle. This result is repeatable.

Patrick   NJ5G