[TowerTalk] Soldering on the Tower

Chuck Dietz w5prchuck at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 11:14:37 EDT 2015

I have been a ham well over 50 years and have soldered on the towers many,
many times.  Electric guns require long extension cords and are difficult
to get up the tower and use.  Butane torches tend to blow out or, if they
don't blow out they melt adjacent wiring.

I have finally found an amazing solution.  The Master Appliance butane
soldering torch is a different breed.  While you light it at first with its
push button igniter like an ordinary torch, after that the technology is
different.  The flame heats a special metal that reacts with butane when it
is hot.  You then extinguish the flame and control the temperature with the
amount of butane flowing.  The soldering tip gets quite hot and there is no
flame to blow out!  There is also a heat shrink attachment.  If you have to
go solder on a tower buy one of these, you will be glad you did!

I got mine at a Grainger outlet for about $65.

http://www.grainger.com/product/MASTER-APPLIANCE-Microtorch-1YMK6?s_pp=false&picUrl=//static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/1YMK6_AS01?$smthumb$

Chuck W5PR