[TowerTalk] FW: units in HFTA

David Gilbert xdavid at cis-broadband.com
Wed Jun 3 15:51:54 EDT 2015

How far you should go out is strictly a function of what your particular
terrain looks like.  In my case, I live on a hillside and the land
slopes significantly downward to the east (toward Europe) for about
seven miles, then gradually rises for another several miles before
hitting a mountain range about 15 miles away.  The strongly downward
slope gives me a VERY low takeoff angle to Europe (check out
http://www.ab7e.com/HFTA/AB7E_HFTA.html )  and I can most definitely see
the impact of that distant mountain range.  If the land within a few
miles of my house was flatter that almost for certain would not be the case.

Regarding what increments you should use, HFTA simply plots straight
lines between the terrain file points, so if you have sharp terrain
features you may want to use smaller increments ... or larger increments
if the terrain changes smoothly.  The increments don't need to be
uniform within the file, so I look at the terrain profile and use
smaller increments where the terrain is ragged and larger increments
where it is smooth.

The best thing is to do some editing of the terrain file and see if
there is any impact on the results.  If there is, use a longer reach or
more precision.  The file format is simply two columns of text and can
be easily edited with any text editor.

73 es take care,
Dave   AB7E