[TowerTalk] Fulton K1550 / K2550 Swap: Cable Question

Roger (K8RI) on TT K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Fri Jun 5 00:20:28 EDT 2015

More layers mean a larger arm from the axis of the drum.  The more
layers, the more force it take on the input for the same pull on the cable.

As for supporting coax on any tower, not just crank-ups you want to
avoid sharp bends.  Sharp bends mean the dielectric ends up supporting a
major portion of the weight leading to center conductor migration off
center even with solid dielectrics although they are much more
resistant.  Devices as shown through links work well.  I prefer  an arc
or sweep made of EMT conduit. I'm partial to permanently adhering the
coax through the whole arc with epoxy, It makes the shield and jacket
support more of the load.

Depending on the coax  and tower height, there should be "support turns"
every so often along the height.  Crank up towers make this approach a
bit problematic although it can be done.  Like many "fixes", Where there
is a will there is a way!

73

Roger (K8RI)