[TowerTalk] [Bulk] Re: 90 degree coax bend atop a crankup tower

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Fri Jun 5 23:15:05 EDT 2015

On 6/5/2015 8:00 PM, Roger (K8RI) on TT wrote:

> My experience shows "to me" that those using N-type connectors on
> vertical runs without problems are quite lucky.

Coax with type N connectors is quite capable of center pin
migration in or out just laying on the ground.  About
20 years ago, I bought a bunch of 43 foot long 9913 cables
with type N's at a swap meet.  They came coiled up and I
just threw them in storage.  By now, every single one of
them has the center pins sticking out both ends like
pinocchio.  The ones that I used early on that got
straightened out for a while, but then were rolled up
did better.

I had some 500 foot runs of coax laying out on the ground
and over time, the center conductor migrated.

Going forward, I use PL259's exclusively to avoid this problem.
Except on my 7/8 inch coax.

Rick N6RK