[TowerTalk] Guy Wire Cable Clamps

Don W7WLL w7wll at arrl.net
Mon Jun 8 14:26:03 EDT 2015

Since all of my towers have been unsupported crankups, I've never had the
pleasure of dealing with guys.

When I first moved here, not understanding how bad the salt air environment
would be on anything not SS, I used small "galvanized" crosby type clamps
for securing the wire ends of the boom stays (I did use SS cable). Also used
standard galvanized  thimbles and turnbuckles. That was a joke, they were so
badly rusted after a few years of salt spray that I had to replace both
entire stays after the nuts rusted off the U clamps and one side literally
came apart.

For the stay small cable size the rigger up the coast at the fleet rigging
shop suggested using Nicopress ovals and even lent me their Nicopress
swagger. Quick, easy and very secure. Of course replaced the rest of the
parts with SS too.

I can only imagine the difficulty working with larger wire cable on a tower
project. Hats off to you all. I've also come to recognize that there is
significant differences in galvanizing.

Don W7WLL