[TowerTalk] [Bulk] Re: Thrust Bearing

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Wed Jun 10 13:00:14 EDT 2015

I've not had good service from the TB series and now use a UHMW block
bored to the mast diameter plus about 0.040" as a radial bearing or the
block plus a collar with a stainless disk on the bottom as a combo
radial and thrust bearing.  Black UHMW is reasonably UV resistant and is
an excellent low speed bearing material.  Never rusts, never needs
grease, or other maintenance and lasts a long time.  A 6x6x1.5" black
UHMW block costs $21 from McMaster.

The pillow block/flange bearings that use radial ball bearings are
another choice which do work, but should be protected from water and
greased periodically.  They are primarily designed for radial loads but
have a thrust capacity of about 15% of the maximum static radial load.
For a 6211 ball bearing which is a size close to 2" bore the maximum
static radial load is 6550#, so a 1000# thrust load won't overload the
bearing.

However, the small oscillating loads from an antenna sitting unused and
moving slightly in the wind will squeeze oil out of the ball/race
contact area.  Then fretting corrosion will likely cause premature
bearing failure even in a weather protected and regularly greased
bearing.  The Ham-V and TT rotators I've taken apart all show ball
dimples in the races from this.  Add some water and the process is
greatly accelerated.

Grant KZ1W