[TowerTalk] FW: engineering help? Antenna weight for US Tower TX472

Matt maflukey at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 00:40:26 EDT 2015

Just a word of caution regarding lowering crank-up towers (increasing
overlap) to reduce bending stress...   It is true that lowering the tower
decreases the overall moment reactions on the tower from the wind load,
however that strategy does not consider the stresses on individual tower
elements.   There are some tower designs that have extra horizontal
reinforcing bars placed in the vicinity of the pressure points of the
overlapping tower sections when fully extended.   When the tower is
partially lowered, these horizontal bars no longer line up with the pressure
points and the moment forces are transferred into a region of the truss
without the extra strengthening that the horizontal bars provide.   That is
OK if the tower is lowered enough so that the developed moment reactions do
not exceed the strength of the tower section "at that point".   The
calculation of those localized stresses is not trivial.

A case in point would be to only lower the tower a little, where in it is
probable that the reduction in stress fails to offset the increase in
localized stress.   Conversely, if the tower design does not incorporate
these horizontal strengthen members, then the point is moot.

Matt
KM5VI