[TowerTalk] Homebrew tower...

TexasRF at aol.com TexasRF at aol.com
Fri Jun 26 21:31:37 EDT 2015

Rick is quite correct about the danger of welding galvanized material.
Poisonous gases are released in the welding process.

Having said that, it can be done safely with plenty of ventilation and
preferably outdoors. Read that as a big fan blowing all the smoke and fumes
away  from the welder.

Using bolts on large round tubes can be a problem. The tubing will tend to
deform before the bolt is tight enough to hold a brace in place. Bolts with
 angles of course is no problem since the material is already flattened.

The horizontal and diagonal rungs in 25G are made of 3/8" rod which is
quite nice to work with. But, there is no reason that pieces of the 1 1/8"
material can't be used if you have enough. I have seen towers with round legs
and angle braces as well.

73,
Gerald K5GW

In a message dated 6/26/2015 7:17:02 P.M. Central Daylight Time,