[TowerTalk] SteppIR failures

RLVZ--- via TowerTalk towertalk at contesting.com
Sun Mar 1 14:26:40 EST 2015

I'm really happy to hear that many hams like Bob- W3YY are having good
longevity with their SteppIR yagis.

I've had some problems with mine.  1) the controller went  out when only a
couple of months old, that was easy to replace and SteppIR  provided a free
replacement.  2) When the antenna was 6 months old,  two elements blew off
in an 80 mph windstorm.  SteppIR was great  and provided free replacement
parts, but it was a pain to drop the antenna  in order to repair it.

About 5 years ago, a local ham: W1MO had several SteppIR gears strip or
break on his new Yagi within the first year of use.  I've heard of many  other
hams reporting SteppIR gears broken  In Norm's case, he had  3 out of 6
SteppIR gears broken when we opened the motor  boxes.

About 2 years ago, SteppIR announced that they had  developed a much
improved SteppIR gear that is much
tougher than the old plastic shaft and gear.  Hopefully, that will  resolve
the broken gears and shafts.

Here in Florida, the SteppIR boots need to be replaced every  other year.
I learned the hard way, that failure of a  boot, causes the loss of an
element.  (and potentially the loss  of a motor if the element is extended or
rain gets in)

All that said, I love the performance of the Steppir Yagi's and  the BigIR
Vertical.

73,
Dick- K9OM

In a message dated 3/1/2015 4:24:51 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,