[TowerTalk] Water in Conduit...

Stan Stockton wa5rtg at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 11:24:44 EST 2015

> On Mar 5, 2015, at 10:06 AM, Al Kozakiewicz <akozak at hourglass.com> wrote:
>
>  If you're going to use any kind of drain pipe, it doesn't matter where the holes are.  On the top, on the bottom, sides, it matters not.  Water seeks it's own level.  If you bury a drain hole riddled pipe so that it is below the water table at any time of year - even shallow during a rainstorm - that pipe will completely fill with a quantity of water that eclipses anything you might get from condensation.

I  always assumed burying conduit with a bed of gravel under it and holes down was kinda like a septic line where any accumulation of water from whatever cause would likely drain out.  Certainly contrary to what you write, Al, I would assume it better to have the holes down as opposed to saying it doesn't matter.  Water won't find its own level other than the one created by a solid 4 inch diameter pipe with holes on top.  It could fill with standing water and be there for months while the ground around it had no appreciable water content.

73...Stan, K5GO