[TowerTalk] modeling compare: 80M, 2EL vs 4SQ

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Sun Mar 15 23:38:29 EDT 2015

On 3/15/2015 5:16 PM, StellarCAT wrote:
> Hi Steve,
>
> I’ve searched and cannot find any info on South Carolina other than that old map. It shows shows all of the area where I was as 8 mS.
> There is indeed soil there – farming is going on all around there. And it shows the area in SC as 2.
>
> There’s a really nice site:
>
> http://websoilsurvey.sc.egov.usda.gov/App/WebSoilSurvey.aspx
>
> where I can go and indeed see that the soil where I was in AZ is actually 100 mS (1 dS)! Not 8 but MUCH better. THAT I don’t know.

I tried to browse this site, but it appears to have a huge learning
curve.  Since you have used it, could you give us the Reader's
Digest version?  Specifically, are you saying it gives RF conductivity
and permittivity?  Or DC conductivity?  Or does it just rate
soils for agricultural value?  Agriculture doesn't necessarily
correlate with radio.  My QTH has great radio characteristics but
is useless for farming.  Even weeds don't grow well.  Thanks in
advance.

73

Rick N6RK