[TowerTalk] modeling compare: 80M, 2EL vs 4SQ

John Langdon jlangdon1 at austin.rr.com
Mon Mar 16 21:44:57 EDT 2015

Ground conductivity is always important!

If you have very poor soil conductivity, a vertical (or four or more of
them) on silver plated copper disks a wavelength in radius still won't get
out that well. High horizontal antennas will very likely work better.

If you have great soil conductivity, 4 buried radials will work pretty well,
and well considered elevated ones might work even better.

We see both cases here in central Texas.

To the east of the Balcones Escarpment (which to simplify things, can be
said to run parallel to IH35) , QTH's that have black land style soil lend
themselves to inverted L's and verticals on 160.

West of the Escapement, often on essentially pure limestone, high dipoles
work much better.  Thirty miles can make a very dramatic difference.

I was spoiled as a novice, living in Corpus Christi, with super high
conductivity soil, and the salt water of Corpus Christi Bay a few blocks
away. Verticals worked great there.

Still searching for that gently sloping hill of salt water!

73 John N5CQ