[TowerTalk] Earth Anchors

Ed G ed.n3cw at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 13:04:58 EDT 2015

I looked at the Hubbell link Shawn provided on the earth anchors, and
noticed this:

Note: If hand installed, holding capacity may be reduced by as much as 10%
to 20%. Capacity ratings apply to properly installed anchors only. Failure
to install within 5° of alignment with the guy load will significantly lower
strength.

I always knew the type of soil would affect holding capacity, but now I see
that with hand-installed anchors, and with anchors used to hold 2 or 3 guys
(where I am definitely exceeding the 5 degree load alignment spec)...I may
be way down from what I am estimating holding capacity to be.

So ignoring the lower capacity due to sandy soil here in Florida, I may be
losing 20% of capacity due to hand installing, and losing some unspecified
capacity (Hubbbell says "significantly reduced") because some of my guys are
pulling outside the 5 degree alignment.  I'm starting to wonder how much if
any margin I have.  Guess a more formal analysis may be warranted.

--Ed, N3CW--

Message: 2