[TowerTalk] modeling compare: 80M, 2EL vs 4SQ

David Gilbert xdavid at cis-broadband.com
Tue Mar 17 13:33:39 EDT 2015

Well, the whole point of using elevated radials is to provide a return
path for currents independent of whatever is below them (lossy ground,
etc).  I have several times modeled a vertical with "tuned" radials at
various points above ground (i.e., the vertical extends all the way to
ground but the radials attach higher and the feedpoint is just above the
radials) ... in every case, if the radials are "tuned" they choke off
all current below them.  It's actually a relatively easy way to make a
multiband vertical just by switching in/out the upper set of radials.
I've only used EZNEC+ for this, but we're not talking the
wires-near-ground limitation of NEC2 here.

So if the radials are indeed resonant, I don't see how whatever current
might be induced into the ground screen ever gets back to the feedpoint
to improve efficiency.  Maybe somebody smarter than me can educate both
of us ...

73,
Dave   AB7E