[TowerTalk] Loss in a Terminated Tilted Folded Dipole

Dan Maguire via TowerTalk towertalk at contesting.com
Wed Mar 25 06:16:21 EDT 2015

The T2FD is an antenna that seems to stir up a lot of passion in folks.  But that's not what this post is about.  Not directly.

A general purpose T2FD model was recently added to the AutoEZ samples set as part of the documentation for a new program feature.  The various aspects of the model (length, spacing between wires, tilt angle, etc) can all be adjusted just by changing the associated variable.  Here's an overview:

http://ac6la.com/adhoc/tfd1.png

Using this model you can easily create a plot showing the power loss in the terminating resistor over a range of frequencies for any given input power:

http://ac6la.com/adhoc/tfd9.png

A plot like that can be a real eye-opener but it's not my intent to rehash all the arguments for and against the T2FD.  That poor horse has been beat to death many times over.  Like I said, the T2FD was merely a means to demonstrate a new AutoEZ feature.  But even if you are not an AutoEZ user you might be interested.  For example, if you've ever looked at an EZNEC "Load Data" window and wondered where the strange value for "applied power" came from:

http://ac6la.com/adhoc/tfd3.png

The complete write-up including several additional illustrations can be found here:

http://ac6la.com/aecollection7.html

Dan, AC6LA
AutoEZ info:  http://ac6la.com/autoez.html