[TowerTalk] Grounding/Bonding Lessons Learned

Nate Bargmann n0nb at n0nb.us
Sun Mar 29 08:48:29 EDT 2015

* On 2015 29 Mar 00:18 -0500, Paul Christensen wrote:
> CADWELDS
>

> Out of two dozen Cadweld one-shots used, only one would not ignite.  That
> was the first device tried.  When pouring in the granules into the crucible,
> it's important to: (1) NOT shake the vial; (2) slowly pour the mix; and (3)
> delicately pour the final igniting power at the very end.  Erico, the
> manufacturer, really needs to separate the two powders into separate vials.
> If the fine igniting powder accidentally becomes mixed with the granules,
> then ignition absolutely, positively will not happen with any form of
> igniting  and you will have wasted a $10 one-shot.  Don't bother heating it
> either with a propane torch.  It takes a spark with the igniting mix on top
> to start the chain reaction.

I ordered one-shots last year from Tessco and ordered the Harger
variety.  The powder and the weld material are in separate compartments
in the vial (caps on each end).  The molds are larger and thicker and
were less prone to be broken or cracked coming out of the box than the
Erico variety.  I had one failure and that was not noticing that I was
using a 5/8" mold on a 1/2" rod that I'd mistakenly grabbed with the
bundle at Home Depot that day...

Whenever I need to order one-shots at work in the future, I'll be
ordering the Harger shots.

73, Nate