[TowerTalk] adding insulators to guy wires

Jim Hoge knowkode at verizon.net
Sat May 9 10:08:35 EDT 2015

I agree that chicago grips are necessary tools for tower work, right after gin poles and tower jacks. However, guy wires are most often broken up into non resonant sections by multiple insulators. If you were only going to add an insulator near the bottom of the guy then yes, your method works. If you have multiple insulators on each guy then they will be out of reach, necessitating the dropping of the guy for retrofitting.
My preferred method is to not reuse guy wire. I will not reuse cable clamps, ever. New material and hardware is inexpensive compared to a complete tower and I view it as cheap insurance. Before I begin replacement, I will ensure that the old guys are properly tensioned and the tower is plumb. Then, I begin by replacing one guy at a time. I do not drop the old guy until I have attached the new one at the tower. I then remove the old one at the guy anchor and install the new one. By doing only one at a time, I have found it easier to ballpark the new guys and keep the tower plumb. Oh, and I always start with the bottom set of guys, just like I was building a new tower. Yeah, my method is time consuming but it can be accomplished solo but having a helper on the ground speeds things up and provided he too can climb, adds a necessary safety factor to the work.
gl es stay safe,Jim W5QM