[TowerTalk] Mast inquiries

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Tue May 12 19:36:13 EDT 2015

On 5/12/2015 12:22 PM, Patrick Greenlee wrote:

> Any thoughts on the efficacy of upgrading to the .375 wall CM tubing? Is
> it overkill and a waste of $ or just slightly belt and suspemnders and
> worth considering?  My application is a SteppIR DB42 with 80m and 6m
> accessories plus a NN4ZZ TiltPlate atop a Tashjian HD LM354  turned by a
> Kurt Andress PropPitch motor with the antenna height above ground of 94
> ft or so due to mounting the Tash Tower on a 40 ft steel structure. I

> Patrick    NJ5G

I have a similar installation.  The original MonstIR on a homebrew
tiltplate turned by a K7NV prop pitch on an HDX-5106.  The antenna is
3 feet above the tower, just enough room for the tilt plate and
some cable loops.  I started out with 0.12 wall mast.  It stayed up
through various storms, but I felt it was marginal.  I changed to
0.25o inch.  I don't believe it is CM, just decent mast material
(as opposed to water pipe).  With this mast I can sit on the end (top)
of the mast and bounce up and down with the tower tilted over and it
moves very little.  Not scientific but it has worked for me.

Rick N6RK