[TowerTalk] Rohn towers

Patrick Greenlee patrick_g at windstream.net
Wed May 13 08:34:34 EDT 2015

Thanks to everyone who offered information and opinions regarding
various aspects of mast material sizing, economics, procurement, sources
and whatever else I might be forgetting to list just now.

My K7NV prop-pitch motor rotator conversion is in hand.  Kurt set it up
for a 2 inch mast and supplied me with specs for my guidance.

A 2.0" Dia x .250" wall 1026 DOM mast (yield = 85 Ksi) has a safety
factor of 2.57 for a DB42 antenna (38.9 SqFt Effective Area) mounted 2
feet above the tower top when the tower top is 94 feet above ground.
This is per ANSI/TIA-222-G, Exposure Zone C, on flat terrain in
Pottawatomie County, OK which is a 90 Mph wind speed zone.

My passing interest in 0.375 material was to gain strength without
increasing OD (where increasing OD would be better economics if I didn't
have a rotator set up for 2 inch)  I don't really need more strength if
I don't extend the mast much.  The 0.375 material would allow a little
more extension with the same safety margin but isn't a real issue, just
me dreaming of gilding the lily. Due diligence would be to use Kurts
numbers and stop flailing around.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

Patrick   NJ5G