[TowerTalk] Rotator Lightning Protection

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Fri May 15 12:01:23 EDT 2015

On 5/15/15 8:15 AM, Paul Christensen wrote:
> Jim,
>
>> "what about mechanical limit switches on the rotator motor?"
>
> A possibility but that's probably best done when these units are back on
> the ground for service.  That shouldn’t be for quite a long time.
>
>> "Since it's a DC motor, you put a diode in series with each of the two
> switches, which are then paralleled."
>
> Maybe I'm just being dense this morning, but I don’t see how a
> series/parallel diode combination helps in this case.  I just drew-out
> the electrical diagram but don't see how the diode would limit current
> during an MOV fault while still allowing rotator current during a normal
> turning operation.

I was assuming (incorrectly, as it happens) that your motor was
basically a DC permanent magnet motor with two leads, and you switch
polarity to switch direction.

Let's say that lead 1 is positive for cw rotation, and lead 2 is
positive for ccw rotation.

The limit switch that goes open to stop CW rotation has a diode in
series with it for that direction of current. The limit switch that goes
open to stop CCW rotation has a diode that is opposite.

The two "switch+diode" assemblies are in parallel, and that is in series
with the motor.

That way, if you hit the limit in one direction, you can apply voltage
of the opposite polarity and move off the limit switch.

(Man, this is hard to describe in words and trivial in a diagram)

> A bit more info:  The prop pitch uses two windings: one for CW and the
> other for CCW.  A common lead connects to the ends of each and
> ultimately, this common lead routes to the controller's MOSFET.

Oh, that makes it easy.. limit switch for that direction in series with
each winding. No diodes, etc.

  The M2