[TowerTalk] Boom material.

TexasRF--- via TowerTalk towertalk at contesting.com
Mon May 25 15:29:15 EDT 2015

Hi Lee, one possibility is use of aluminum pipe purchased through your
local metal supplier such as EM Jorgensen Co.

I built a couple of full size 3-el 40m beams about 30 years ago using the
stuff and they survived multiple 90+ mph winds. This probably is way
overkill  for a Moxon style beam but you asked.

If you start with 3.5"" OD with .3" wall material, the next smaller size of
 2.875" OD will slip in no problem. The 2.875 material is available in
various  wall thicknesses but for robustness, the one that is .218" thick is a
good  choice. The two sizes can be pinned together with three or four 3/8"
diameter  bolts.

The stuff comes in 20ft lengths usually so you will end up with some
leftover material dependant on how much you telescope the pieces.

You can ask about different alloy choices. 6063 is commonly used for these
large extrusions. You should be aware that the yield strength of 6063 is
less  than 6061-T6 but the larger diameter makes 6063 useful in many
applications.

In any case you likely will want to include a boom support not for strength
 but to take out the sag, These booms are heavy!

I can see making the boom longer would allow adding some fore and aft
element trusses to provide added wind survival to your Moxon.

73,
Gerald K5GW

In a message dated 5/25/2015 12:23:02 A.M. Central Daylight Time, L at w0vt.us