[TowerTalk] sealing PL259's

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Mon May 25 16:43:02 EDT 2015

On Mon,5/25/2015 5:34 AM, J. Hunt via TowerTalk wrote:
> I do not use PL-259's  much outdoors (or indoors), the choice is N connectors... on everything - 1.8 - 500mhz.The N connector is weatherized, less impedance bump and higher power capabilities.
> ... 7/16 Din connectors anyone ...

I agree that the impedance bump can be significant above 50 MHz. Below
that, it is simply not an issue. The relevant issues are mechanical --
ruggedness, ease of termination, physical size. I find most N connectors
quite difficult to terminate well, and with many there is the matter of
conductor creep. I very much like the Andros male N connectors, which
solve all of these issues. I discovered a few of them in SK N6RZ's junk
box, and bought more.

73, Jim K9YC