[TowerTalk] Solder For Connectors

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 2 21:11:46 EST 2015

On 11/2/15 5:40 PM, Tony wrote:
> All:
>
> I need to assemble a bunch of connectors this weekend and was wondering
> which type / brand of solder the pros recommend?

I don't really get paid to solder, so I can't claim to be a professional.
I use a rosin flux multicore eutectic lead/tin 63/37 for just about
everything. Lowest melting point, the usual flux wets fairly well. Doing
a bit of research I see that it is a type 370 flux which would be
"mildly activated" (type RA).

Folks at work like using a little squeeze bottle of flux too, but I find
that it gunks things up and you have to spend time cleaning it off.

I suppose one could find something else.. some sort of bespoke artisanal
blended solder with lead and tin from carefully selected mines and ore
lots, the flux from hand selected tree sap from only the most special
old-growth trees in South Carolina, collected in the light of the full
moon, etc.