[TowerTalk] Solder For Connectors

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 3 20:17:11 EST 2015

On 11/3/15 4:53 PM, John Reilly wrote:
> What are the advantages/disadvantages of using silver solder? I never
> have gotten a clear understanding when silver solder is appropriate.

Are you talking the no-lead tin/silver/copper alloys used for RoHS
soldering, or "silver solder" as in "hard solder" for brazing?

Soldering is "join two metal things with a different metal of lower
melting point", to distinguish from, say, welding, "join two metal
things with more of the same metal"

Then there's usually a distinction between "soft solder" (historically
using a tin/lead alloy with low melting point, although indium and
bismuth are also used to lower the melting point) and "hard soldering"
or "brazing" where the filler metal has a much higher MP (but still
lower than the two things being joined).

In general "soft solder" isn't "structural": it's to make an electrical
connection or to form a seal, but not to provide strength.  In fact, the
softness of the solder is used in joints where there might be
displacement (e.g. vacuum seals might be done with a soft solder) and
something else takes the mechanical loads.  One does have to be careful
about work hardening under loads.

Brazing, though, is usually used for something where a secure mechanical
connection is needed.  There's a variety of silver containing alloys
that have low-ish melting points (compared to steel and copper and
brass) that also have decent mechanical properties, particularly under
mechanical load/vibration. They also "stick well" to a lot of metals:
one reason for brazing is when you want to join dissimilar metals
together: You want to attach a copper widget to a steel structural
member, and silver solder is your friend.