[TowerTalk] 4 port network analyzers for balun measurements (was: Re: Myantennas)

Gary Johnson gwj at wb9jps.com
Sat Nov 21 12:54:17 EST 2015

>> Not with just "any network analyzer", like the 8711; you need a 4 port
>> network analyzer, such at the Agilent E5071C with 4 port option.

>>Isn't there a process (perhaps tedious and manual) to do this with a 2 port analyzer?

An affordable solution is the VNWA. It’s only a 2-port VNA, but its application includes calculations for 3-port measurements. As I recall, DG8SAQ included that specifically for baluns. Users say it works great for this particular application (I don’t have personal experience with this instrument; I have an N2PK VNA, and wrote my own code for it).

Gary, NA6O