[TowerTalk] Oil for Dummy Load

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 29 13:58:41 EST 2015

On 11/28/15 9:25 AM, Pete Smith N4ZR wrote:
> My Cantenna-type dummy load developed a pinhole leak in the can, and all
> the mineral oil drained out.  I have several gallons of clean (unused)
> peanut oil left over from Thanksgiving.  Is there any reason not to use
> this instead? From internet sources, the flash point appears to be
> higher than mineral oil.

It will spoil. You could probably add some form of preservative to
prevent that.

You probably aren't worrying so much about high voltage standoff, so the
the water content isn't a big deal.

Another issue is the viscosity.  if you're expecting thermally driven
flow, having a different viscosity can change that.  If you're going for
short bursts, and just using the oil for thermal mass.

Real insulating oil is mineral oil, often with a preservative.