[TowerTalk] Oil For Dummy Load

Al Kozakiewicz akozak at hourglass.com
Mon Nov 30 10:24:00 EST 2015

There used to be a chart on the side of the Heath cantena that showed the
difference between transformer oil and mineral oil as far as power/time. As
I remember it was rather a significant difference.

73
Gary  K4FMX

The MFJ product has the same  curve and yes, it shows as well a significant derating between the two at full power (1 KW) - seconds vs 10 minutes.  I don't know if there is a significant difference in molecular weight between the two which would be the main determinant in temperature rise, though I am quite sure that at the margins the transformer oil has much better overall characteristics like flash and smoke points.

However, I'd NEVER run a KW into Cantenna for 10 continuous minutes regardless of the fluid medium! It gets uncomfortably warm after only a minute or two of intermittent use and the idea of a flimsy paint can being the only thing between a gallon of boiling hot oil and me is not comforting.....and I'm a risk taker!

Al
AB2ZY