[TowerTalk] Fw: Cushcraft XM-240 problem

Steve Baughn baughn at centurylink.net
Wed Oct 7 18:32:35 EDT 2015

From: Steve Baughn
Sent: Wednesday, October 07, 2015 2:11 PM
To: towertalk at contesting.com
Subject: Cushcraft XM-240 problem

I just installed an XM-240 10’ above a HyGain TH-11 and 3’ under a Diamond X-50 2m vertical. This is all on top of a 71’ tower. I cannot get a dip anywhere in the 40 meter band. We did not have a chance to check the antenna when we put it up as it was getting dark. I have replaced the balun although the old one checked ok. I have checked the feedlines which show good. I am in the process of going back and checking the element lengths again just to be sure. I checked the coils for continuity and a low resistance of a couple ohms. I recall reading awhile back where some had problems with the screw holding the coil ends. I think the separation I have between antennas should be ok to avoid any interaction. I have a lift for the day so am trying to troubleshoot this. Thanks for any suggestions.Checked all the coil connections-cleaned and reassembled. The antenna is showing resonance between 18 and 19 mhz.

73,
Steve, WD8NPL