[TowerTalk] Omnidirectional antenna for domestic contests. Re: TowerTalk Digest, Vol 154, Issue 18

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Mon Oct 12 23:01:35 EDT 2015

On Mon,10/12/2015 12:33 PM, Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:
> For "close in" stations - even NVIS - one is better served putting a
> horizontal antenna between 1/4 and 3/8 wave above ground

Right

> and making the "ground" as good as possible.

My extensive modeling study shows that ground conductivity makes
virtually no difference below about 30 degrees elevation, and the
difference between Very Good soil and Very Poor soil is only 2 dB above
60 degrees (Very Good is stronger). But this is soil, not what you can
install in the form of wire underneath it. :)

73, Jim K9YC