[TowerTalk] Omnidirectional antenna for domestic contests. Re: TowerTalk Digest, Vol 154, Issue 18

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Mon Oct 12 23:02:38 EDT 2015

On 10/12/2015 10:50 PM, Jim Brown wrote:
> But at lower angles (30 degrees and below), which is where most of
> the stations we want to work in a domestic contest come in,

While that may be true for you on the left coast (the land of fruits
and flakes), it is most certainly untrue for those in W3, W4, W8, W9
and W0.  Most QSOs for those in flyover country are at takeoff angles
greater than 60 degrees on 80 and 40 meters.  However, that still
argues for a height of roughly 50 feet for an 80/40 trapped or fan
dipole (3/8 wave on 40 meters, 3/16 wave on 80 meters).  70 feet (60
to 80 feet) is to be avoided due to the overhead null on 40 meters.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV