[TowerTalk] Phillystran

Patrick Greenlee patrick_g at windstream.net
Fri Oct 23 23:30:34 EDT 2015

Don, most all knots are weaker than the line in which they are tied,
i.e. the line will break at the knot before the undisturbed line will
break. .   That  said, I like  your suggestion as boom trusses are not
long  enough for  economics to be an overriding  concern that would
prevent oversizing the Philly to allow for derating due to the knots.

  I would be very curious to know the reduction in breaking strength of
a termination consisting of a piece of Philly run through a hole just a
bit larger than the nominal diameter of the Philly in a metallic
substrate with a figure of eight knot (AKA stopper knot) tied in the
Philly.  Perhaps someone with more knowledge of marlinspike seamanship
could suggest a suitable knot which has a lesser strength reduction.
Perhaps someone more familiar with Philly construction could comment on
the differences between the stress/force distribution in Philly as
opposed to popular rope construction such  as double braid, twisted
three strand, etc.

Patrick        NJ5G